The General Purpose Thread

Colin Bullock

Re: The General Purpose Thread

Mensaje por Colin Bullock » Mié Feb 13, 2019 1:13 pm

Rick Beauregard escribió:
Vie Ene 18, 2019 4:29 pm
Yes they tend to submit finished work here rather than student work in progress. That’s been a challenge for me with the harder material. I don’t think I’ve submitted anything I’d call performance ready. They also tend to take every suggestion of JFD literally as “the rules.” I submitted after 6 days onece instead of one week and I got criticized by some participants and warned by the mod. Jeesh!
Interesting difference in approach. I know a few people from the English forum who have been used to posting work in progress were surprised when submitting at <7 over here.
When you say finished work I assume you mean "this is what I would submit if it were an exam piece"?

Rick Beauregard
Alumno de los cursos en linea

Mensaje por Rick Beauregard » Mié Feb 13, 2019 3:42 pm

Colin Bullock escribió:
Mié Feb 13, 2019 1:13 pm
Yes they tend to submit finished work here rather than student work in progress. That’s been a challenge for me with the harder material. I don’t think I’ve submitted anything I’d call performance ready. They also tend to take every suggestion of JFD literally as “the rules.” I submitted after 6 days onece instead of one week and I got criticized by some participants and warned by the mod. Jeesh!
Interesting difference in approach. I know a few people from the English forum who have been used to posting work in progress were surprised when submitting at <7 over here.
When you say finished work I assume you mean "this is what I would submit if it were an exam piece"?
Yes, well my exam pieces aren’t perfect either, but that’s the idea.

Judy Verbeeten

Mensaje por Judy Verbeeten » Vie Feb 15, 2019 3:02 am

Yes they tend to submit finished work here rather than student work in progress. That’s been a challenge for me with the harder material. I don’t think I’ve submitted anything I’d call performance ready. They also tend to take every suggestion of JFD literally as “the rules.” I submitted after 6 days once instead of one week and I got criticized by some participants and warned by the mod. Jeesh!
Rick, this difference in approach is interesting, and quite frankly, exactly opposite to what I would have expected. Just out of interest, I completed an MBA, about 12 years ago. While I did not do a global MBA, which included international travel and international study groups, my classmates who did, always commented on how the 'Europeans' were much easier-going than the Canadians, and were quite willing to stretch or bypass rules, whereas the Canucks were an uptight group. Independent of that limited perspective, in general, I always had the impression that Europeans embrace a more laissez-faire attitude than North Americans. Go figure.

Judy

Rick Beauregard

Mensaje por Rick Beauregard » Vie Feb 15, 2019 3:10 am

Judy Verbeeten escribió:
Vie Feb 15, 2019 3:02 am
Yes they tend to submit finished work here rather than student work in progress. That’s been a challenge for me with the harder material. I don’t think I’ve submitted anything I’d call performance ready. They also tend to take every suggestion of JFD literally as “the rules.” I submitted after 6 days once instead of one week and I got criticized by some participants and warned by the mod. Jeesh!
Rick, this difference in approach is interesting, and quite frankly, exactly opposite to what I would have expected. Just out of interest, I completed an MBA, about 12 years ago. While I did not do a global MBA, which included international travel and international study groups, my classmates who did, always commented on how the 'Europeans' were much easier-going than the Canadians, and were quite willing to stretch or bypass rules, whereas the Canucks were an uptight group. Independent of that limited perspective, in general, I always had the impression that Europeans embrace a more laissez-faire attitude than North Americans. Go figure.

Judy
Well of course I should not generalize and maybe my experience is an outlier. But the strict rules of this forum, which are based on strict French laws about copyright and such, apparently—not an expert here—would tend to support my experience. Don’t get me wrong, I love the rules of the site and generally the mods and their efforts to keep it clean so to speak. But apparently the site has a reputation among the more “libertarian” web crawlers.

How are you finding your experience with the lessons? You seem to have an active group and good students. And you’re playing well.

Judy Verbeeten

Mensaje por Judy Verbeeten » Sab Feb 16, 2019 3:24 am

Vie Feb 15, 2019 3:10 am
How are you finding your experience with the lessons? You seem to have an active group and good students. And you’re playing well.
Hi Rick, 'My' D01 group is quite a bit larger than 'my' D02 group - this latter group has only 4 students. But all the students are engaging and keen. In D02, Ken Kim is an excellent player and I particularly learn a lot from reviewing his submissions and benefit from his constructive critiques of my playing. All and all, a very positive experience. I sure hope the Delcamp forum continues in earnest for many years to come.

Judy

James A. Showalter

Mensaje por James A. Showalter » Mié Mar 06, 2019 7:38 pm

I sure hope the Delcamp forum continues in earnest for many years to come.
I'll 2nd Judy's quote with earnest.
James

Colin Bullock

Mensaje por Colin Bullock » Dom Mar 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Jue Dic 06, 2018 5:50 pm
Hey you guys can stay alive by popping in to lessons D06 or 7 in Spanish and hear some music and provide some critique and encouragement. We need it! .......
Thanks Rick, I will have a look at this exalted group. Not sure I could offer much in tne way of critique, but encouragement, yes.

john montes
Moderador
Moderador

Mensaje por john montes » Mar Abr 09, 2019 2:33 am

+bump
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Mike Cook

Mensaje por Mike Cook » Mié Abr 17, 2019 7:08 pm

I'm at work today. I can't play my new guitar, but I can surf the Delcamp forum! Life is good. :guitare: :lol: :lol:

Mike

James A. Showalter

Mensaje por James A. Showalter » Dom May 26, 2019 2:01 am

Staying alive - Mantenerse con vida

Christopher Langley

Mensaje por Christopher Langley » Dom Jun 16, 2019 3:13 pm

James A. Showalter escribió:
Dom May 26, 2019 2:01 am
Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Gotta love the bee gees.

Trying to keep my account alive here too. Haha. Thank sweet baby jesus for the english section.

john montes
Moderador
Moderador

Mensaje por john montes » Dom Jun 16, 2019 6:42 pm

happy fathers day to all
2018 Salvador Castillo Concert Classical
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Rick Beauregard

Mensaje por Rick Beauregard » Dom Jun 16, 2019 7:45 pm

James A. Showalter escribió:
Dom May 26, 2019 2:01 am

Judy Verbeeten

Mensaje por Judy Verbeeten » Mar Jun 25, 2019 2:52 pm

What a great way to stay alive on the Spanish board - watching a parody of the Bee Gees. Thank you Rick.

P.S. If there is no general classical guitar topic to discuss, I would not be averse to enjoying a monthly musical parody to keep us all alive and safe from mortal drop-off on the Spanish board.

Judy

Volver a “English”