Horchada

AO

Horchada

Mensaje por AO » Mié Abr 02, 2008 3:23 am

Has anyone been to the Spanish city of Toledo and tried this wonderful drink?
It took me awhile to explain to the waiter that I wanted a shot of rum in it, he did not know what
rum was but knew what Bicardi was. I guess to keep this PC with the forum I must say Toledo is a nice place to stay while taking day trips to Madrid to check out guitar makers,AO. :wink:

Ingredients

2 c long grain white rice
7 c water
2 4 sticks cinnamon
2 c milk
1 sugar

Instructions

In a large bowl soak the rice in 3 cups of water for 2 hours. Crumble
the cinnamon and toast it in a small skillet. Drain the rice and
grind it in a blender with the cinnamon and milk. Strain the mixture
into a pitcher and dilute with 4 cups cold water. Add sugar to taste.
(AO's variation, add rum to taste)

isabel

Re: Horchada

Mensaje por isabel » Mié Abr 02, 2008 5:30 pm

I've never heard about rice "horchata", I know the horchata made from "chufa" (no idea how chufa is said in English!) I would try!

Toledo is wonderful but for my taste too many tourists. I was in August (as tourist obviously) and we were too many. Tourism steels the soul of the places...

christopher berger

Mensaje por christopher berger » Sab Abr 05, 2008 4:27 pm

I am a big fan of horchata! It is quite common in the US in Mexican restaurants. I have always loved it. That is very interesting that it is in Spain too. Maybe the drink originates from Spain? I always assumed it was Mexican. Live and learn! Thanks for the recipe.

Here in Korea there is a fermented rice drink called makali (please, forgive my awful transliteration). It tastes much like horchata mixed with champagne. It's quite good, and is about as strong as a strong wine. Sorry, but I can't provide a recipe. But imagine mixing your horchata with some champagne, and you have the idea. Cheers!

-Chris

AO

Mensaje por AO » Mié Abr 09, 2008 3:05 pm

isabel escribió:I've never heard about rice "horchata", I know the horchata made from "chufa" (no idea how chufa is said in English!) I would try!

Toledo is wonderful but for my taste too many tourists. I was in August (as tourist obviously) and we were too many. Tourism steels the soul of the places...

I found this info on chafa; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chufa

I don't think I've ever seen this before.
But imagine mixing your horchata with some champagne, and you have the idea. Cheers!
I'll have to look into that one, sounds intriguing, Thanks, AO. (Thanks for the spelling correction as well)

isabel

Mensaje por isabel » Jue Abr 10, 2008 5:13 pm

Tigernuts! ok

they are very tasty, I like them. In Spain the dry small tubers (smaller than an olive)
are very easy to buy.

more info here
http://www.tigernuts.com/index.html

christopher! with champaigne....i don't think I'm going to try...

:okok:

AO

Mensaje por AO » Vie Abr 11, 2008 11:59 am

Tigernuts! ok

they are very tasty, I like them. In Spain the dry small tubers (smaller than an olive)
are very easy to buy.

more info here
http://www.tigernuts.com/index.html
Thanks Isabel, thats great info, the 'tigernuts and health' section make it seem like it cures just about any major disease, now if it could only make me play my guitar better, :lol:

Cheers, AO.

Volver a “English”