Hello from Guernsey

Woodstock

Hello from Guernsey

Mensaje por Woodstock » Vie Mar 14, 2008 7:42 pm

Hi Everyone

I've recently registered on the English speaking part of the forum but thought I'd better post here so that I can access the level 4 mp3's. I've been playing a few years & really want to have a crack at some of the level 4 scores but would like to benefit from listening to other's intepretations of these pieces first.

I'm very much looking forward to hearing some inspirational music & I might even pick up some Spanish in the meantime.

Cheers

Woodstock

GeoffB

Re: Hello from Guernsey

Mensaje por GeoffB » Dom Mar 16, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi Woodstock,

Greetings from a fellow Brit also visiting here. ( :reflechir: Are Guernsey residents counted as Brits, in fact, or completely separate? I'm afraid I don't know offhand. No offence anyway :) )

Congratulations on being one of the adventurous few to explore other forums. I'm surprised not to see more people here, but I've just posted a guide over in the Compendium thread in the hopes of encouraging more people to take the plunge.

Hope you enjoy looking around here!

Geoff

Woodstock

Mensaje por Woodstock » Lun Mar 17, 2008 8:35 am

Hi Geoff

Thanks for the welcome. Officially Guernsey is a British Protectorate and not part of the UK, but I have recently moved here from the mainland anyway, so I am a fellow Brit indeed!

It is a bit quiet on this part of the forum but because I can't speak a word of Spanish I'm not sure how much further I will be able to explore. Still as long as I can hear some music that'll be enough for me.

Cheers

Woodstock

GeoffB

Mensaje por GeoffB » Vie Mar 21, 2008 11:56 am

Some people swear by Google Translate (go to Google and click on Language Tools), and it is handy for deciphering the descriptions and comments on the mp3 threads, for instance, and even for translating your own appreciative comments back, though the results are patchy and it's perhaps safer to stick to smileys for the latter usage :)

Geoff

jayjay2008

Mensaje por jayjay2008 » Dom Mar 30, 2008 12:11 pm

Hi Woodstock and GeoffB,
I have just joined this spanish forum and this is my second post. I am really interested in finding out what this Gaspar Sanz subforum is about. Do you know?
Greetings from Hamburg,
JJ

isabel

Mensaje por isabel » Dom Mar 30, 2008 8:22 pm

hi to you three

you should talk to christopher berger, he uses a translator and although his posts have got grammar mistakes, we can understand him and that's the most important thing!

i'm new here as well but i've read that Gaspar Sanz is closed and you can only get in once you recieved an invitation. I guess you have to post some good interpretations of Gaspar Sanz, with a very good level...I don't know, i'm only guessing!

any way you are welcome here as everybody is, if you need anyhelp with spanish, you can count with me!

:okok:

GeoffB

Mensaje por GeoffB » Lun Mar 31, 2008 10:53 am

Hi JJ, Nice to see you here too :) . And hello Isabel and thank you for the welcome and offer of help.

I just had a quick look at the Sanz subforum. It appears to be set up for the purpose of translating a particular 17th century Sanz manuscript (a music teaching method) from Spanish into French. The facsimiles of each page are provided, and a group of translators choose which page they will do and then provide a translation. You will be able to see all this when you have group 002 membership, though I expect you will not be able to contribute unless you have registered as a translator and been accepted for the project.

Geoff

jayjay2008

Mensaje por jayjay2008 » Lun Mar 31, 2008 11:42 am

Thank you, Geoff and Isabel, for your help.
For translation purposes, I think, many people use google.
I'm waiting for my permission to access the downloads and the Sanz subforum, to have a look myself.
Since either my French and my Spanish is not well, I'm more interested in Scores and the music by Sanz.
Greetings
JJ

GeoffB

Mensaje por GeoffB » Lun Mar 31, 2008 2:58 pm

Google Translate is useful to a certain extent, and often gives a good idea of what is being said, but unfortunately can't always be relied upon to give an accurate translation. I would use it to translate into English, so that I can guess what someone is saying about their mp3, for example, but don't use it often to translate my words into other languages, unless the sentences are very simple.

As far as I can see, the first 19 pages (folios) of the Sanz manuscript are just text. The other pages are in the subforum "Instruccion de musica 1674". Folio 20 is an illustration of notes on the fingerboard, and later pages do have musical exercises, written in the sort of tab used at the time. Quite interesting to look at for historical interest, though a bit tricky to play from :)

Geoff

jayjay2008

Mensaje por jayjay2008 » Lun Mar 31, 2008 7:07 pm

GeoffB escribió:As far as I can see, the first 19 pages (folios) of the Sanz manuscript are just text. The other pages are in the subforum "Instruccion de musica 1674". Folio 20 is an illustration of notes on the fingerboard, and later pages do have musical exercises, written in the sort of tab used at the time. Quite interesting to look at for historical interest, though a bit tricky to play from :)
Hi Geoff,
thanks a lot for taking all the time.
As far as I know "Instruccion de musica" is the only known or still existing work by Sanz. All his tunes come from there. Actually I have a book containig his complete works transcribed for guitar. In these days they had only five strings and various tunings were used, so transcriptions usually differ. I'd like to explore this field a bit more.

About Google Translate, I'm already going through a lot of pain and struggling expressing my thoughts in english, that I don't think I want to be involved in spanish or french discussions.
JJ

GeoffB

Mensaje por GeoffB » Mar Abr 01, 2008 9:22 pm

jayjay2008 escribió: thanks a lot for taking all the time.
No trouble, JJ, I was curious about it too!
jayjay2008 escribió: As far as I know "Instruccion de musica" is the only known or still existing work by Sanz. All his tunes come from there. Actually I have a book containig his complete works transcribed for guitar. In these days they had only five strings and various tunings were used, so transcriptions usually differ. I'd like to explore this field a bit more.
You obviously know a lot more about Sanz than I do, so you should find this manuscript very interesting.
jayjay2008 escribió: About Google Translate, I'm already going through a lot of pain and struggling expressing my thoughts in english, that I don't think I want to be involved in spanish or french discussions.
You express yourself very well in English, so evidently the pain and struggling is worth it! :)

Geoff

Volver a “English”